Addiction impacts clergy and religious, regardless of age. Join diocesan and men’s religious community leadership and others who advocate for the well-being of clergy and men religious at the Guest House 17th Annual Summer Leadership Conference, July 9-11, 2018, at the Somerset Inn in Troy, Michigan. Explore some of the unique challenges and graced opportunities that clergy and men religious encounter on the journey to sobriety and serenity. Resources for intervention and an overview of Guest House treatment and continuing care programs will be provided.
“This year’s theme is ‘Serenity: A Gift of Sobriety,’” explains Jeff Henrich, Guest House president and CEO. Henrich elaborates, “A group of gifted and experienced professionals will offer meaningful presentations and engage participants in poignant discussion. The annual Summer Leadership Conference is an integral part of the Guest House mission to provide education concerning the nature of addiction and the promise of recovery. This conference affords those in leadership positions within the Church an opportunity to expand their awareness and acquire a greater knowledge and understanding of ways in which addiction impacts our Church.”
This year’s exceptional speakers include the following:
- Rev. Anthony Ciorra, IVD, certified spiritual director, will reflect on the invitation to gratitude which recovery offers the addicted and those who support them.
- Sr. Elaine Dombi, SSJ, addiction professional and spiritual retreat director, will emphasize the personal transformation and serenity made possible through twelve-step programs.
- Rev. Ralph O’Donnell, nationally recognized for his leadership roles in the local and national Church, will suggest ways in which engagement with others enables us to recognize God drawing near to us on the road to recovery.
- Rev. Ken Schmidt, cofounder and executive director of Trauma Recovery Associates, will explore the impact of childhood trauma on clergy/religious and ways in which resolution of such trauma promotes serenity and effectiveness in ministry.
- Rev. Mark Stelzer, Guest House education director, who regularly teaches university courses on addiction, recovery and spirituality, will share his personal journey from addiction to recovery.
- Rev. Bill Stenzel, advocate for community recovery and frequent presenter to clients at Guest House, will explore addiction as a family disease, the realities of codependency among clergy/religious, and models of intervention.
Registration for the 17th Annual Summer Leadership Conference — including presentations, meals and two nights lodging — is $399. Register before May 1, and receive a $30 discount. For those traveling by plane, Guest House offers complimentary transportation to and from the (DTW) Detroit International Airport or the (FNT) Flint Bishop International Airport. A conference commuter rate is available for those not requiring overnight accommodations.
In addition to the regular conference program on Tuesday, July 10, participants are invited to visit the Guest House campus located in Lake Orion (about 18 miles from the conference site). Attendees will be given a tour of the Men’s Treatment Center, celebrate Mass and enjoy dinner at the Scripps Mansion on the Guest House campus. Shuttle service for this outing will be provided by Guest House.
Conference details and registration information can be found at GuestHouse.org (“Events”). Contact Colleen Richards with questions at 800-626-6910, ext. 1207, or CRichards@guesthouse.org. Guest House is a NAADAC approved education provider. Conference attendees are eligible to earn up to seven Continuing Education Hours (CEHs).
Written by Guest House Staff Writer