THE WORD OF GOD
The reading is from John’s Gospel:
He had to pass through Samaria. So he came to a town of Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of land that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. Jacob’s well was there. Jesus, tired from his journey, sat down there at the well. It was about noon. A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink.” His disciples had gone into the town to buy food. The Samaritan woman said to him, “How can you, a Jew, ask me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?” (For Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans.) Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God and who is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.” (The woman) said to him, “Sir, you do not even have a bucket and the cistern is deep; where then can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us this cistern and drank from it himself with his children and his flocks?” Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again; but whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water, so that I may not be thirsty or have to keep coming here to draw water.
POINTS FOR REFLECTION
- There are some at the well each day with whom we might not share much in common.
- How open and receptive am I of the “Samaritans” I meet each day?
- Do my values reflect a longing, a thirst for goodness, an interest in others?
- In meeting the woman at the well, Jesus reminds her of her giftedness. What are my gifts and how do I use them? Do I recognize the gifts in others and affirm them?
- Do I share with others the love Jesus shows me?
PRAYER FOR THE WEEK
we thirst for so many things.
We are burdened with unfulfilled hopes.
We crave the fullness of life
that only you can give.
In our journey through life
help us to turn to you in our emptiness.
quench our thirst for peace and love,
our thirst for your Spirit. Amen.
SUGGESTIONS FOR THE WEEK
- If there is someone whom I have been avoiding, plan this week to meet with that person.
- Jesus chatted with the woman at the well – he a Jew, she a Samaritan. Have the courage of Jesus and don’t be afraid of identifying with those whom society might consider as “different.”
- Fast from guilt, feast on freedom
- Fast from complaining, feast on appreciation
- Say a prayer for all the members of the Guest House community.