THE WORD OF GOD
The reading is from Matthew’s Gospel:
After six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them; his face shone like the sun and his clothes became white as light. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, conversing with him. Then Peter said to Jesus in reply, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud cast a shadow over them, then from the cloud came a voice that said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” When the disciples heard this, they fell prostrate and were very much afraid. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and do not be afraid.” And when the disciples raised their eyes, they saw no one else but Jesus alone.
POINTS FOR REFLECTION
- Think of when you had a mountain top experience that you wished would never end. And why did I not want it to end? What did I learn about God and myself at that moment?
- When I meet with Jesus in prayer, do I take time to listen or do I still do all the talking?
- How can I be more quiet and peaceful? Does the Transfiguration lead to my transformation?
PRAYER FOR THE WEEK
You are holy, Lord, the only God,
and your deeds are wonderful.
You are strong,
You are great,
You are the Most High,
You are almighty,
You, Holy Father, are
King of heaven and earth.
We thank you for the glory of your presence in our daily life.
Let our eyes be open to the light of your goodness and mercy.
Help us to live in your presence. Amen.
SUGGESTIONS FOR THE WEEK
- During this week and everyday, spend at least fifteen minutes in prayerful solitude. Find a quiet place and let that be your prayer space.
- Come to the quiet of the chapel or a quiet space on the campus.
- Take time to listen to someone this week not only with your ears but with your heart.
- Fast from talking, feast on listening
- Fast from trying to be in control, feast on letting go
- Say a prayer for all the members of our Guest House community.