THE WORD OF GOD
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. He fasted for forty days and forty nights, and afterwards he was hungry. The tempter approached and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become loaves of bread.” He said in reply, “It is written: ‘One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.'” Then the devil took him to the holy city, and made him stand on the parapet of the temple, and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down. For it is written: ‘He will command his angels concerning you and ‘with their hands they will support you, lest you dash your foot against a stone.'” Jesus answered him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.'” Then the devil took him up to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in their magnificence, and he said to him, “All these I shall give to you, if you will prostrate yourself and worship me.” At this, Jesus said to him, “Get away, Satan! It is written: ‘The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve.'” Then the devil left him and, behold, angels came and ministered to him.
POINTS FOR REFLECTION
- All of life demands choices of us; between good and evil, to do or not to do, to speak or not to speak. Do I take responsibility for my choices?
- Are my choices self-centered or are they made with the good of others in mind?
- The temptations of Jesus have to do with power but he preferred the way of love.
- Does my way of life speak to others of God’s love? My life may be the only gospel others will ever read.
PRAYER FOR THE WEEK
you were tempted in the desert
in a very real way. You were hungry
for real food and the devil took advantage of your hunger.
But you triumphed over evil. Help us to be aware of our weak spots
and to be on guard – aware of the divisiveness of the devil.
Strengthen our faith and trust in you
and help us not forget that without you we can do nothing
but with you we can do all things. Amen.
SUGGESTIONS FOR THE WEEK
- During this week pray for those who are in the process of making major decisions.
- Take time to listen to someone who seeks your advice and be attentive to his or her problems.
- Fast from bitterness, feast on forgiveness
- Fast from selfishness, feast on compassion for others
- Say a prayer for all the members of our Guest House community.